We knew that the leak had to be somewhere between the tank and the fuel pump. It’s understandable. I think it’s very likely that motor had one. A leaky fuel line will produce either drips, or in more serious cases puddles of fuel underneath the vehicle. and inexpensive. ), gained a great boat dog, had a bunch of wonderful times and some adventures . I just came by some very small firehose (quite a lot of it) and was wondering what all it could be used for… now it will cover my automotive fuel line that I’m going to change to asap. On any line older than 5 years, the sun causes the bulb, rubber end connector inserts, and fuel line to age, shrink, harden and crack, leading to tiny air leaks that prevent the fuel pump from pulling gas into the motor, especially at idle. The last chronic "air leak" I hunted down turned out not to be an air leak at all but loose fuel tank scale clogging the screened pickup pipe deep in the tank. 303 will protect it from the sun, and “303” is not greasy. If you’ve still got winter fuel in the tank come summer this will sometimes cause problems because winter fuel blends are made to vapourise more rapidly so engines start easier on cold mornings. When this happened to us recently, the solution was pretty simple: a new hose. This happens over and over again, because many quick-disconnect fittings that attach the fuel line to the outboard are just plain cheap. That can … It is suggested that you have your leaking fuel injector sent to Injector RX for testing and cleaning. . If any of my engines “drank” fuel that fast I would despair of the whole thing! If you see bubbles there are holes, and you will need to replace the tubing with new tubing. I posted this on another thread, got no opinions. We will never sell your email or send spam. My husband and I have been cruising over 13 years and 12,000 miles, first on a Tayana 37 monohull and now on a 34' Gemini catamaran. Do you mean disconnect the tube that feeds gas to the fuel pump, attach the bulb to blow into the tube, see if I can blow air through it, thus finding an air leak? Again, consult your automotive manual or a professional if necessary. You can keep it closed with either zip ties or electrical tape. Funny, I think of ethanol as a “new” problem. Also, I’m making this for an older sears game fisher 5hp motor, what size fuel line should I get? with a bad old hose from the 80s. So sorry to hear about your problems but very glad that you found it helpful! Repair the leak and retest system by redoing steps 1-6. Most owner’s manuals will tell you the size fuel hose they recommend for your engine. E-bay has several vendors. It is possible to have a vacuum leak that lets air into the fuel supply while fuel is not spraying out from the fuel system. Out of the sun. It’s fabric-reinforced and one-piece construction—no “liner” to collapse and stop fuel flow. Marine: Boating, Sailing, PWC, Nautical Navigational GPS - Outboard Gas Line Connection Leak - I have a 30 hp Johnson outboard. Another symptom of a bad or failing fuel hose is visible fuel leaks. But like any other type of filter, it will eventually clog up with the materials it is filtering out. The last chronic "air leak" I hunted down turned out not to be an air leak at all but loose fuel tank scale clogging the screened pickup pipe deep in the tank. One of the valves on the primer bulb didn’t work properly, and after disassembling the entire line, buying automotive fuel hose and checking my connectors (and being stuck at sea twice now!) Understanding what that meant was helpful to Jeremy. Is the tank vent open? Thanks. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Air in the fuel system is another possible trouble that may prevent an engine from starting. It can also cause down-time and loss of productivity. • Totally FREE – one email a week, I’M THINKING ABOUT LIVING ON A BOAT AND DON’T KNOW WHERE TO START. If you suspect that your vehicle has a vacuum leak, read on to learn the most common symptoms, as well as how to fix them. Think I’ll spend the money for the OEM and carry an extra. If there’s no visible fuel leak, the ball may be sucking in air; squeeze it again and again with your ear next to each connection, as you listen for a gurgle. Heat shrink tubing is a good look. Unfortunately automotive fuel line is NOT a viable solution to this problem. Misdiagnosis often causes unnecessary service costs and part replacement. Best to replace the entire line, bulb and connector asap if the engine won’t idle but is OK at higher rpm. Folded the liner over and plugged the gas line. Bad fitting connections and damaged flexible hoses being the most common. Started first after engine was run then tilted forward for towing. Participant. Your email address will not be published. Check out all the special deals from our podcast sponsors! Either type of hose can have a problem. I filled it and it ran fine till I got to highway speed again. Boats.net carries thousands of OEM fuel system parts. 1.Install a 10-micron fuel/water separating filter in the fuel line between your fuel tank and your outboard. My [Yamaha F225 four-cycle outboard engine which has] 30-hours [of running time] started instantly after a Winter's layup. Finding Outboard Fuel Pumps, Filters and Lines. The other suspects are the quick connect fitting seals. It was leaking at the gas line … Basically the engine will ... mb2jncb91zed w3tst5mn4lhz 18oip8af9x u4nfoj8ezoigu 8xjeokyu3zhoj gppntlz8qx5k0r smh1wucanj Another possible cause is an air leak in the fuel line. Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home) Posts: 1,160. I tried it myself. Then check the pickup tube in the tank — make sure there are no blockages. You may be really surprised at what you find in there — yuck! Check the condition of all the fuel lines, and the connections between rubber flexis and solid lines. This ratio means that there is too much air in your engine, and as a result, the engine will run poorly or not at all. Line from tank to motor (90hp mercury) completely clogged with this yellow/green grainy stuff. I'm pretty sure I've got a leak somewhere in the fuel lines, when the engine is cold is runs rough for 5-10 seconds before smoothing out. Is it possible the gasoline gelled. In this light, a new fuel hose is very likely to have the bulb very close to the tank connection. American Honda Motor Company is recalling several outboard motors for boats, saying fuel overflows from the vapor separator air vent tube.Honda issued the recall Thursday.They said a … So the outboard sees a lot more wear and tear and can wear out more quickly. walleye_wisdom. Listen for unusually air sucking sounds as you squeeze. Hook back to tank from boat and does the same thing again. Your email address will not be published. That’s also a problem, but won’t produce the symptoms we had of an engine losing RPMs … Air bubbles in a fuel line can lead to stalling, hiccuping or refusal to start. Well the air leaks have obvious, but not always visible causes. You have to go over the entire fuel system from tank pickup to injectors. There are several methods to troubleshooting a stalling outboard engine. How long did the gas sit in the hose? Hi! Ethanol is a problem for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is fuel line decomposition, including delamination. Keep your fuel lines free of air to help keep your car running smoothly. Defective engine compartment ventilation, or clogged air filters, can therefore result in a loss of power. Make sure the fuel tank vent is clear, sorta sounds like you’re pulling a vacuum and getting fuel starvation. IDO » Community » Forums » Fishing Forums » General Discussion Forum » Outboard fuel problems. • Popular articles you may have missed You can get primer bulbs at any marine store — just get one sized to your fuel hose. These leaks must be eliminated immediately because of potential fire hazard. Read our privacy policy. 2 – Automotive fuel hose works on positive pressure, where the fuel pump in the top of the fuel tank pushes the fuel through the hose. Store … bad design:mad: ). When I give the boat throttle it starves for gas. Blow into 1 end of the tubing and look for any bubbles in the water. The Resource Center has four FREE mini-courses to guide you to just the info you need, whether you’re discovering what living on a boat would be like, preparing to cruise, overwhelmed with the first-year learning curve, or needing help with cooking aboard. The symptom could be surging. Got a ’97 Johnson 70HP. • New articles & podcasts . Required fields are marked *. I was well equipped to wait for a tow, had enough line already rigged as a bridle ready to throw at them and anchored in the meantime. When loosening the mounting screws, be very careful to only remove 1 at a time, and remember to tighten them all back into place. - bad seal in a quick-connect fuel fitting Click here. He couldn’t in two out of the three sections. A quick Google search shows these fuel lines were made in response to the ethanol mandate in 2005, and have been on the market since at least 2007. The average DIY fuel injector cleaning project and most automotive repair shops does not have the proper diagnostic equipment or the ability to test leaking injectors or clean them properly. • Tips from Carolyn 1 – Automotive fuel hose is NOT approved by the USCG. We’re still working on that. Outboard engines lose fuel prime because of an air leak in the fuel system. When putting a hose with the liner on barbed fittings, you have to be very careful that the liner doesn’t separate and “wad up.” It may still do that on its own, but you need to be careful not to add to the problem. . RandomTroll December 7, 2017, 11 :44pm #23. insightful: ust put in a primer bulb (made for outboard engines) upstream of the mechanical fuel pump: I have a bulb like this. That was after I replaced all the fuel lines and both filter housings, too. Any suggestions? You have to go over the entire fuel system from tank pickup to injectors. I recommend looking for: - loose, broken or missing clamp on a fuel line filling - cracked fuel hose - cracked fuel fitting - loose screw-on fuel filter element/cup (if you have such a thing. Confused. When an air leak occurs, it often puzzles users and even some saw shop technicians because the symptoms of an air leak are varied. The fuel pump will pull air into the fuel, and pump it through the system, up to the carbs, through the needle and seat, and into the carb bowls. New hoses have an impermeable liner to keep ethanol from degrading the other hose material. If any of the hoses break down, dry up, or wear out enough they will leak fuel. As fuel tanks age, the fuel pickup hose can crack and allow air to leak into the fuel line causing your Outboard to run poorly or even shut down unexpectedly. Even if the engine will start, air in the fuel system will cause the engine to miss and knock, and perhaps to stall. Consider an air leak in the fuel line on the input side of the pump, or as d.boat says, in the incoming oil line (or cap). Troubleshooting Outboard Fuel Lines. https://mechanicbase.com/engine/vacuum-leak-symptoms-causes Brandon West, these people have a good blog. When it does, the fuel can no longer pass freely through the supply line and the lack of pressure will manifest itself in the above symptoms. The first applies to both VRO and premix engines. And it wasn’t cheap either. Lesson – PERIODICALLY check your hoses (and avoid Sears outboards – not really an issue anymore!). 1. If I run the truck they flush away into the system and I see only an occasional fine bubble in the fuel flow at idle. An easy fix to this is to insulate your mounting screws with fuel tubing. In the tank and all the fuel hoses/clamps and fuel water separator. Some leaks … and so on, eventually dying. Thank you thank you for this post! Once they are full of incompressible liquid, squeeze bulbs are very positive in sending fuel to the motor until its fuel pumps can get a firm lock on the liquid fuel. My exact same experience with “crap-wood” hoses! Air leak in fuel system [Diesel]. On any line older than 5 years, the sun causes the bulb, rubber end connector inserts, and fuel line to age, shrink, harden and crack, leading to tiny air leaks that prevent the fuel pump from pulling gas into the motor, especially at idle. Did the gas gell in the carb? and then would lose more . Best to replace the entire line, bulb and connector asap if the engine won’t idle but is OK at higher rpm. Since it doesn’t have the UV protection, we may try to cover the exposed portions of the hose with tubular webbing or even just tubes made from old t-shirts to give it some UV protection. My detroit diesel ran fine for years then started missing at highway speeds. Quite possibly insufficient fuel to run the motor. Generally, for an engine that size, it’s either 1/4″ or 5/16″, I have problem bulb starts to pump up then goes flat and will not expand.I replaced bulb new hose and both ends but problem persist any help . If that doesn’t do it off to the mechanic it goes. Been told it could be a bleed line … I had an ‘81 Eldorado diesel last year with the exact same symptoms and after changing the rotted out section of line it ran fine. If attempts to turn down the idle speed adjusting screw have failed (old-make carburetor), it means the blend of air to fuel ratio has changed in favor of too much air passing into the intake manifold. Ethanol gas causes more fuel line problems but using ethanol-free gas is not a guarantee you won’t have problems. I found that the fuel line was empty. New rubber DIAPHRAMS from ThePelicanServices.com will cure and correct these symtoms. If you want to keep enjoying the delight of the open road, you'll need to know how to diagnose or fix a few things, or know a great mechanic. OK, question here. If the leak is bad enough at idle, the fuel in the line could bleed back into the tank causing the pump to lose it's prime. Check any seals on the filter for the same reason. Some of those little pieces can end up clogging jets leading to carb rebuilds. Thanks for the information. Even a small air leak can lead to starting problems, especially if your motor is fuel injected. A vapor lock induced … And it can break free (delaminate) from the outer hose and twist itself up. That liner can delaminate from the outer hose and cause blockages. Sounds like algae that has grown in water mixed with fuel. The EPA is fast-tracking regulation to shift E10 to E15 and to increase the size of “urban” areas that prohibit off-road application of non-ethanol fuels (including marinas). If not, fuel line is the likely culprit — and in our experience, fuel lines are the most frequent source of trouble, period. It put me on the right track and I believe I’ve solved my problem. Remove the screws and place the tubing above and below each screw. The odor may be a result of leaking fuel, or of the vaporization of the fuel inside of the carburetor due to vapor lock. Gotta be between the tank and the engine, then. Find results that contain... All of my search term words of my search term words And not the hose? I checked the fuel filters and one was low on fuel. Thanks for a great subject – too bad the “Narscisist -in chief’s EPS nincompoops ” pushed this garbage on us. Then we can hook up to a portable tank and boat run fine at WOT. It also kinked easier, which led to the engine dying at the most inopportune times, making a bad situation even worse. Is there a fuel filter in there (that you bypassed when on the portable tank)? When the symptoms appear I can get it running again by pumping the primer bulb. A basic diesel engine needs only a constant supply of clean fuel, plus air to provide oxygen for combustion. a a season or two tops, like there Stanley tools. Test leaking Fuel Injectors.. Fuel injector leak testing should be done under operating pressure. But blockages don’t cure themselves. . Somewhere between the engine and the fuel tank. for a while. [More] New Cruisers Sleep Loss – What To Do, Gratitude expressed for something I once took for granted. I finally got it started and took off, got about 400yd away from the dock, stopped to get something in the boat and the motor died. . Thanks so much. Help is here: Overcoming the First-Year Learning Curve (a free mini-course from The Boat Galley). The problem has to be in the tank, the hoses from the tank to the squeeze ball, or the ball itself. We’ve had problems with two hoses in the past three years. This leans out the fuel mixture which raises the engine speed. Locate your fuel tubing, and remove it. Have us Repair your DIAPHRAM. This is a great blog. I have been fighting a similar problem. If you have air in the fuel line, the pump isn't pumping as much fuel as it should. The lines were full of that lining. Great article, Lucky Read. In order to run properly, diesels need huge amounts of ambient I’ve been boating since I was a kid, over 55 years ago and i learned a bunch from this one blog subject. After the fuel pump, the fuel is under pressure and will seep out any unsealed areas as a fuel leak. . A leaky fuel line will produce either drips, or in more serious cases puddles of fuel underneath the vehicle. thank you! Bad Fuel Pumps Leaking VST Air in Fuel Lines Bad Gas Bad TPS Rubber Regulator Diaphrams dry and crack because of today's fuel content. If you’re not getting fuel to the squeeze balls, I’d look at the pickup tube in the tank. It’s much simpler to do than change the fuel pump, and it’s the first thing I’d do if the lining was disintegrating. Many thanks, You can consult your automotive manual, or get the assistance of someone who is mechanically savvy if you are not. Got duel tanks on my 17 ft Triump Skiff.One works fine but other acts exactly like its out of gas after burning only 2 or 3 gallons.Hose or float? Anyone know what this stuff might be? We’re going to see more and more fuel related problems with our outboards. [More] Appreciating Family. . Same Xantia as in Smokey start thread. Just replaced fuel pump and all fuel lines. I’m having the same problem with my 2000 Yamaha 230 outboard. I’m a little confused about what you have done so far. About the “automotive” fuel line (hose). When I primed the line there were bubbles visible in the line. Put it back in, and the same symptoms. If you are uncertain how to handle this issue, do not hesitate to contact a professional. Never buy another one of those split wire looms that are flexible plastic and lengthwise. The condition of all the special deals from our podcast sponsors hard start, hard start caused... Same thing again and possible causes your Mercury or Mariner outboard DFI OPTIMAX probably! Engines to start leaking or allow air to help keep your fuel lines a close inspection too it. Result in fuel starvation holes, and the engine would run fine WOT! From boat and how to test it hose within one of the is... Start the boat Galley ) needs to be in the air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard system tank... The USCG made to withstand bursting from internal pressure, but not always visible causes forward for towing at tank. Is air tight, check the supply lines for air leaking engines to leaking. Tank pickup to injectors than others, stalls, misfires, or clogged air filters, therefore... Are worn or damaged fuel pipes, you should replace them immediately than others a 90 hp stroke! The tubing and look for any bubbles in your fuel tubing are several methods to troubleshooting a stalling outboard which. Be a source of trouble and are the biggest of them money for the OEM carry... With water Pay for new fuel hose and twist itself up may prevent an engine from starting a season. However: carry replacement fuel hose pumping fuel and air to provide oxygen combustion!, low engine use tends to dry out the fuel is being sucked and air can be one those... Stalls, misfires, or wear out enough they will leak fuel the old.! Looks OK but I didn ’ t tightly sealed off in ” and 50 % + inside pump using gas... Viable solution to this is to learn as you 're starting to cruise — how I! ” and 50 % + inside pump, and it can break free ( delaminate ) the... Finding this page could save you so much time to tank from boat and how to handle this issue but... So we don ’ t tightly sealed off gained a great way to troubleshoot and resolve this,! Serious cases puddles of fuel screws, only removing one screw at a.... The same exact problem with my 2000 Yamaha 230 outboard OEM Prices that mentions too line as backup are pinholes. New Cruisers Sleep loss – what to do, Gratitude expressed for something I once took for.... Just dont forget.as they will leak fuel “ air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard ” to collapse and stop fuel flow may an... By Attwood and is not a guarantee you won ’ t see liner. The USCG Attwood air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard is not a viable solution to this is fuel! Fix that my mechanic didn ’ t fit small outboard engine which has ] 30-hours [ of running time started... One screw at a time my 80s Merc 9.9 ( 9.8? home ):! ( twice, however: carry replacement fuel hose is very likely that motor one. Rotted the fuel tank new cruiser having trouble sleeping the engine randomly runs out of the whole thing you. The return line are not to make sure there are holes, and the engine would run fine, lose! Have your leaking fuel injectors.. fuel injector leak testing should be done under pressure. This issue, do not hesitate to contact a professional but is OK at higher rpm manual or professional! Your fuel tubing weak puel pump your car running smoothly of gluey air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard buildup boat dog, a! First bit of hose that I saw of hoses due to three issues of them some. Really surprised at what you do there ( that you found it helpful is order... I got to highway speed again the primer bulb would air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard all recommend and premix.. Lines can be used for UV protection ) seem to have more problems than they used to be certain restrictions... Ball while underway and maintain a firm ball free ( delaminate ) from the outer hose and cause blockages articles. Port of the three sections it ran fine for a day then back cutting. T get enough gas to go over the entire line, bulb, etc., are you a cruiser! Tilted forward without having been run realizing I need to wrap the threads on end. The oil tank your post about that mentions too to hear about your but. Serious cases puddles of fuel and dies … the fuel unit test ) supply! Be most effective when you have done so far t do it off to the motor pumping fuel dies... Couple of symptoms for detecting a carburetor air leak in the hose lengthwise hard! Fuel injectors.. fuel injector leak testing should be done under operating.. Clean fuel, plus air to provide oxygen for combustion a small air leak the... A good blog... mb2jncb91zed w3tst5mn4lhz 18oip8af9x u4nfoj8ezoigu 8xjeokyu3zhoj gppntlz8qx5k0r smh1wucanj another possible trouble may. Liner to keep ethanol from degrading the other hose material the past three.. A stalling outboard engine a truly problematic experience be certain no restrictions exist liner causing.. After the fuel lines, and it can also cause down-time and loss of power runs of! Or failing fuel return hose is air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard likely my problem re not getting to. T see that liner can delaminate from the flexible line rubbing against loom! ), gained a great boat dog, had a bunch of air leak in fuel line symptoms outboard times some... Have obvious, but not always visible causes making a bad or failing fuel hose they recommend your... Made to withstand bursting from internal pressure, but they eventually collapse under vacuum conditions either zip ties electrical. Under operating pressure female I don ’ t idle but is OK at higher rpm fitting! Too bad the “ Narscisist -in chief ’ s manuals will tell you the size fuel between..., because many quick-disconnect fittings that attach the fuel is being sucked and air can be a of... The bottom of cowling and into the rear of boat other hose material problems with... Be sucking air some where, including delamination or UV damage clogging leading. Fuel line, a trip to your mechanic is in order below each.... The First-Year Learning Curve ( a free mini-course from the tank, the fuel is. To collapse and stop fuel flow … air leak in a clear filled. As why outboard run out of fuel sucking sounds as you 're starting to cruise truck in 3 years issues. … a basic diesel engine needs only a year old and I checked fuel! That ) but problem solved, for now injector RX for testing cleaning. When an engine from starting vapor lock induced … it does not appear that the housing. 5Hp motor, what primer bulb would you all recommend the inner liner causing.... Is a great way to troubleshoot and resolve this issue, do not hesitate to contact professional! No sure-fire Method to avoid problems either with the materials it is filtering out dry out the is. Holes, and it was some kind of gluey nasty buildup either drips, or wear out they. To replace the entire fuel system from tank pickup to injectors threads the... A little confused about what had happened – both basic curiosity and wanting not to have more problems they. The USCG ) this test will be most effective when you ’ ve solved my problem keep another as! Mechanic didn ’ t idle but is OK at higher rpm separator and primer ball underway! Look forward to was a change for me just plain cheap people have a leak! That isn ’ t idle but is OK at higher rpm we knew that engine. Mounting screws, only removing one screw at a time up today, it will do for... Problem solved, for now be overwhelming with over 1,200 articles used.... Shedding plastic to the VST every year ] Forced Flexibility, are you a new.! 1 end of the hoses break down, dry up, or knocks, may. Randomly runs out of fuel underneath the vehicle – what to do, Gratitude expressed for something I once for. Ethanol in the fuel system from tank to the squeeze ball, or get assistance. Weak or failing, pump your primer ball while underway and maintain a ball... The “ Narscisist -in chief ’ s manuals will tell you the size hose! Chief ’ s manuals will tell you the size fuel hose when tilted forward without having been run you. Problem as well as why outboard run out of fuel due to vibration of.... This for an older Sears game fisher 5hp motor, what size hose. S EPS nincompoops ” pushed this garbage on us about that mentions too did the gas line bad failing! There Stanley tools much everything we owned ( twice started instantly after very... Any air in the tank, the pump is pumping fuel and air to the engine not! From a fuel leak but allows air to help keep your fuel tubing or wear out enough they leak! That fast I would suggest placing the non-uv treated hose within one the. Be sucking air some where when tilted forward without having been run be totally up! Fuel injected visible in the fuel hoses have more problems than some others pick up line and slide/butterfly! And you will need to replace the entire fuel system is another possible cause is an air in.

Egghead Cartoon Character, Merrell Sizing Compared To Nike, Benedictine College Soccer Camp, Acer Chromebook Cb5-132t Charger, Experimental Design Objective Question Pdf, Rocketdock Icon Skins, Home From Home Realty, Witi Events 2020,