William Easton. Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on February 19, 2014: Sorry Cathi not to respond sooner. History’s Most Insane Rulers: Lunatics, Eccentrics, and Megalomaniacs From Emperor Caligula to Kim Jong Il SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY. There is one American TV sitcom "the office" I always walk away from while other watch it, but the boss is a good example of a Megalomania character. So many hubs, so little time, that I often find myself scanning through them myself, unless they are really good. But you raise some interesting points. But there are people who want power. For example there is Patrick Henry. I had one rather nice boss who on the day of his retirement rode his bicycle into the executive offices and yelled out obscenities at all the higher ups. Great hub, another megalomaniac Genghis Khan, they say he was not happy in the morning unless he woke up to see the site of a city or town the mongols had ransacked smouldering in the distance! It was a great moment and a perfect ending to my work career. Members of the postal managerial corps wear the word jerk proudly as a badge of honor, and openly flaunt it as a sure fire ticket to promotion. Harish Mamgain from New Delhi , India on May 27, 2014: Mel, what a marvelous hub is this that not for a moment I stopped and read it all in one go. They ruled with an unchallenged authority and silenced all possible threats in the most ruthless manner. Here are the top ten evil megalomaniacs we all might be better off being rules by. The union was kept quite busy fighting to get people's jobs back. Confira também os eBooks mais vendidos, lançamentos e livros digitais exclusivos. Humans. Below is a compilation of ten of the smartest people in history with recognition of their mindsets, philosophies, theories, inventions, ideas, concepts and breakthroughs and with certain linkage to modern society and people too and their extraordinary abilities to think beyond the horizons of every other man or women of their era. Caligula was noted for killing on a whim, and once at a publicly staged games had his guards throw an entire section of the crowd to the animals because there were no prisoners available to slaughter and he was bored. Jay C OBrien from Houston, TX USA on November 12, 2014: Many political leaders had megalomaniac tendencies, that is why we go to war so often. 3. Only in retrospect can I realize how terrible it was, and I am glad I did not sell my soul and become one of them. Napoleon the Great 2. Population expansion had a profound influence on British policy in America. Throughout history, many famous people have been considered to be megalomaniacs for their delusions of grandeur and self-importance, like Julius Caesar or Napoleon. History has seen the rise and fall of some infamous and notorious rulers who brought about inexplicable horror in their thirst for power and recognition. Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on October 13, 2015: Thank you Randy I really appreciate the nice words. Professor Julia Keefer's Cross-disciplinary Web Sites Creative and Expository Writing, Global Literature, Oral Interpretation, Public Speaking, Screenwriting, Online Education, French, Health Humanities and Wellness, and Fitness Workouts Facilitated by NYU's Web Team: Vincent Doogan, Joseph Hargitai, Jeff Lane, Rich Malenitza, Jodi Goldberg et al, first developed in 1995 with … Here are the top ten evil megalomaniacs we all might be better off being rules by. Narcissism is one of the traits of psychopaths. In 1812 the Americans won the war against Briton. Now, the idea of an insane ruler with absolute power and control over his/her people may sound both unnerving and … … Whether it is Ottoman Sultan Ibrahim I practicing archery on palace servants and sending out his advisers to find the heaviest woman in the empire for his wife or Turkmenistan President Turkmenbashi renaming the days of the week after himself and constructing an 80-foot golden statue that revolves to face the sun, crazed leaders have plagued society for millenia. Others believed themselves to be God’s greatest prophet and wrote religious writings that they guaranteed to the reader would get them into heaven, even if these “prophets” were barely literate. Just saying. 9 years ago. As many of you are able to guess without additional clues by examining my user name, I work for the Postal Service. Real world examples of megalomaniacs still living or recently deceased are legion. Why do others follow this kind of weirdo? Unfortunately I think there are thousands of Wannabe Caligulas in workplaces around the world. Where would the world be without disabled musicians, artists, writers, megalomaniacs? Site created in November 2000. With only 12 weeks to research and build the world of one of the greatest megalomaniacs in American history, Ferreti had to work around the clock. Very interesting stuff and yes, such jerks are still around. His name sounds so strange and curious and how cruel he was ! Megalomania definition, a symptom of mental illness marked by delusions of greatness, wealth, etc. MEGALOMANIA Meaning: "delusions of greatness; a form of insanity in which the subjects imagine themselves to be great,… See definitions of megalomania. Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on December 06, 2013: Thank you LKMore01. Andrew Beattie. ologsinquito from USA on August 05, 2014: Thankfully, you're no longer working for that boss. 2. Hitler clung stubbornly to the fanciful pipe dream that the Russians would be defeated quickly, a delusion that ultimately cost him the war. Saddam Hussein, deposed as dictator of Iraq in 2003 and executed in 2006, believed that he was descended from the prophet Mohammed. But are these power hungry men and women like my boss truly megalomaniacs, or are they simply calculating individuals who put their own advancement over everything else, including the needs of the company, organization, or even the country they have been selected to lead? Kim Jong Il, the former dictator of North Korea, believed that his mood swings changed the weather. The metal megalomaniacs are out to convert humanity into their own kind, when Rose and the Doctor land on a parallel version of the earth in a two-part show, made in South Wales and due to be broadcast on May 13 and 20. Thanks for reading. Hitler also had a delusional, irrational belief in the invincibility of the German soldier, a false conviction that he embraced to the point that he destroyed his own forces by neglecting to supply them with proper winter clothing and other cold-weather provisions during the first year of the Russian invasion. ", and "proves" it with forged or deliberately misinterpreted evidence. Amazing Megalomaniacs: People Who Have Shaped Our History In The Worst Possible Fashion eBook: LEWIS, VINCE M: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store Michael Van Duisen July 19, 2016. Thanks for dropping by! But to defeat the Germans, Marius had to change Roman society forever. Things are not cut and dry. Save. Secondly, he can speak three languages: English, wizard AND parseltongue, an absolute must in a globalized world. Too often this goes on for years and leads to stress-related health conditions. Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on December 03, 2013: Thank you. History 10 Horrific Native American Massacres. History’s Most Insane Rulers: Lunatics, Eccentrics, and Megalomaniacs From Emperor Caligula to Kim Jong Il. But in reality, … Eric Matthews. The adventures in time and space of the Doctor, a Time Lord who changes appearance and personality by regenerating when near death, and is joined by companions in battles against aliens and other megalomaniacs. ~Cynthia. But not all that people claim in public, no matter how convincingly, is true. I did some research on Google. Advertisement. Andrew … Megalomaniacs may believe they can engage in destructive behaviors without consequence. So how do you define a megalomaniac? Travis was hopelessly outnumbered, out gunned and disobeyed the orders of his general, Sam Houston. You are a fantastic writer. Travis also abandoned his family. Here are the 10 biggest megalomaniacs in WWE history. He focuses on world history, Roman history, military history, the history of the United States, the most famous rulers in history … Strangely enough, in his own mind he was also the resurrection of the ancient Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar. In this episode we look mentally unbalance rulers who made the lives of their subjects miserable. Lana Adler from California on August 13, 2014: I can't speak about the others, but as a Russian, I've kinda been learning about Stalin my whole life, and my impression is that Stalin was definitely on the delusional side. These historical figures were succesful managers. Amazing Megalomaniacs book. There is no longer any room for hope. Alex Hanton . Just because someone is a very evil dude, as Stalin most certainly was, does not mean they meet the qualifications necessary to wear the word "megalomaniac" on their name tag at the International Brotherhood of Jerks convention. History | July 17, 2016 10 Megalomaniacs Who Destroyed The Roman Republic. So on the issue of megalomania I vote "no" for Stalin, "yes" for Hitler. Deb Hirt from Stillwater, OK on December 03, 2013: We can also confused megalomaniacs, as those youngsters fresh out of school that think they're the only ones that can run a business, even the managers that have been at it for longer than six months. “Was the Roman Emperor Caligula as Crazy as They Say?” The Straight Dope, June 10, 2003. Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on November 28, 2013: This is an interesting and informative look at megalomania, Mel. For the past 18 years, I have studied the brain activity, psychology, and genetics of psychiatric patients and the brain scans of psychopathic serial killers. The organization, the flow, and the information all on point. But in reality, Rome came to dominate the ancient world as a republic then slowly went into decline after its transition to an imperial dictatorship. Whatever their background, these rulers show that dynastic politics made sure that a rightful heir always got on the throne – despite that heir’s mental condition – and that power can destroy a mind worse than any mental illness. They have inflated self esteem and overestimate their powers and beliefs. It is sometimes symptomatic of manic or paranoid disorders.. 9 years ago. Megalomania is a crazy hunger for power and wealth, and a passion for grand schemes. Some of the better known ones include: 1. Being a jerk in the post office will get one a long way, even when other qualifications are lacking. Amazing Megalomaniacs: People Who Have Shaped Our History In The Worst Possible Fashion - Kindle edition by LEWIS, VINCE M. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Morris M. July 20, 2016. The Tokugawa Shoguns of Japan believed that they were helpless victims of their own "karma," much like my boss believed that he was the helpless victim of his "megalomania.". In fact, those traits encouraged them to pursue the goal of ruling the entire world. Favorite Answer. Enjoyed the hub, as always, thanks for sharing! Leena from new delhi on November 30, 2013: I had such a boss along time back ,who let the power go to his head. ...-- we must fight! Thanks for the kind comment. Time was on the side of the colonists, learn patience. But sometimes people purposely use impressive sounding words as a cover for what is simply bad behavior. The problem with passing people off as megalomaniacs is because it overlooks psychopathology. … Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on November 28, 2013: Thank you Wetnosedogs for reading and commenting. When Pandit did talk, he spoke … But although the diminutive Stalin, whom American President Harry Truman referred to as a "little squirt," may have suffered from an inferiority complex resulting from "short-man's syndrome," and most certainly was a cruel, remorseless sociopath, is there any real evidence to indicate that he met the "delusional" criteria required for megalomania? I wonder lawmakers in most of the countries have not envisaged any safeguards against these crack pots. Since the Greeks led by Alexander only prostrated themselves before their Gods, the Persian practice of proskynesis was thought to be a godlike veneration of the Emperor. In most cases, a megalomaniac can’t control such mood swings. Sailing from Byzantium. Maybe it's just us Yanks that are obsessed with power. Today, we think of Rome as an empire. This is probably why Caligula's guards assassinated him before he could subject the office of Emperor to further embarrassment. Emaciation and dehydration are signs of the need for urgent treatment. With only 12 weeks to research and build the world of one of the greatest megalomaniacs in American history, Ferreti had to work around the clock. Probably just youthful folly that has to be corrected in the school of hard knocks. They … Votes: 35,331 Here is how you can implement the same tactics they used - good and bad. Sounds fascinating, even though I think a lot about the Alamo is legend and poetry. A history typical of depressive illness (e.g., low mood, loss of pleasure and participation in activities), psychomotor retardation (although may be anxious and agitated), prominent negative content to delusions/hallucinations, and suicidal ideation suggest a depressive psychosis. Amazing Megalomaniacs: People Who Have Shaped Our History In The Worst Possible Fashion | LEWIS, VINCE M | ISBN: 9781549786709 | Kostenloser Versand für alle Bücher mit Versand und Verkauf duch Amazon. The title grabbed me and I was expecting something else but read this anyway - Even though I am busy. This man openly boasted about being a megalomaniac, a word he probably pulled out of one of the impressive managerial tomes he decorated his office with, and he went to great lengths to try to prove it. Fast and free shipping free returns cash on delivery available on eligible purchase. The scores help them to become and stay famous, sell books, and make money. Astronomical scores may be self-assumed; that is, the person says in a very convincing way, "I have this I.Q. Well developed post that makes more than a few good points! Search Pages. This is … One of the most powerful men ever to have lived. I have had some bad bosses in my time, but none I'd go so far as to label megalomaniacs. I am happy for you and I hope you never do, but the post office is full of them, which could be why we're broke. A megalomaniac is a person with an abnormal lust for power over others. I always appreciate your visits. Some of the better known ones include: 1. Patrick Henry said, "Give me Liberty or give me death" while he kept his wife locked in his basement, in a straight jacket. Megalomania has not decreased in popularity as humanity has moved forward and made incredible advances in technology, medicine, and science. Aug 9, 2016 - Explore Jimm Martin Alexs's board "Megalomaniacs", followed by 329 people on Pinterest. Most certainly Alexander exploited these legends of divine conception to his advantage, as a calculated means to further justify and solidify his rule. It is my karma." Does it make him any less of a homicidal jerk? Excellent! See more. wwe / wikipedia. 2 Answers. "Gone down the American river": Resonances of Ginsberg’s Poetry in Saul Williams’ Poem ", said the shotgun to the head." King David is a perfect example of someone who went overboard with power. Thank God only a handful ever emerge, but when they do watch out! A DARE video presenting a catalogue of famous disabled heroes and villains in history. Today, we think of Rome as an empire. There is also a BBC series by the same name. Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on August 05, 2014: That is most certainly true. Like “Megalomaniacs like Alistair Drummond have become emperors and führers, served by underlings who never questioned … tags: megalomania. Read full article. History’s Most Insane Rulers: Lunatics, Eccentrics, and Megalomaniacs From Emperor Caligula to Kim Jong Il. In other words Alexander made a calculated, non-delusional decision to recognize where he went wrong and to correct his mistakes in order to maintain his hold upon power. Thirdly, everybody loves a good magic trick! His rise to the top of the Soviet power structure was devious, underhanded, and unscrupulous, but it was also brilliantly calculated . Patrick Henry says there are no alternatives, but to fight. Recent excavations made in Rome have lambasted this theory by demonstrating that Caligula actually had an entire street blocked off so that thru traffic would have no choice but to stop and worship at his temple, which he had constructed after declaring himself God. Amazing Megalomaniacs: People Who Have Shaped Our History In The Worst Possible Fashion: LEWIS, VINCE M: Amazon.com.mx: Libros Amanda Young. Josef Stalin. -- I repeat it, sir, we must fight!! See Hub, "What do we know about the Alamo.". to. In doing so, he found himself annoyed at having to justify and explain why his treatment . In truth I think the American Revolution sparked revilutions all over the globe and patience wouldn't have helped. Alexander the Great (you can see a sort of megalomania in the names in fact.) Despite the seriousness of the topic, you have such a great sense of humor Mel! I think Trump is narcissism personified, and he will say anything to be President. July 20, 2012, 1:43 PM. Excellent reading. it seems that many historians have been trying to prove that Caligula's monstrosities were actually calculated attempts to increase Imperial power. History 10 People Immortalized For Terrible Reasons. Perhaps this rather fatalistic surrendering of one's moral code is the method by which the great dictators justify their dark deeds, just like my Postal boss justified his own bad behavior by using the convenient excuse of megalomania. Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on November 28, 2013: I had to stop and think whether I had had one of these bosses over the years; I guess the closest to one was the last, and I walked out of that job after throwing her the keys. It actually sounds like a legitimate; albeit frightening disorder, and its ominous overtones make it seem that the person supposedly afflicted with it is entirely at its mercy. Henrism. History 10 Ways Lead Has Poisoned Us Through The Ages. 10 Biggest Megalomaniacs In WWE History. I guess the post office is not the only place with petty tyrants like this. His behavior most certainly could be classified as uncouth and perhaps borderline neurotic, but it was probably not indicative of megalomania. There would be no history, no culture and no future. Joseph Stalin, the undisputed, unchallenged ruler of the Soviet Union between 1924 to 1953, is one of those notorious figureheads of history that everyone assumes to be a megalomaniac, probably because he murdered millions of people and had millions of others shipped off to labor camps. All the same Alexander was often venerated and rumored to be made of godlike stuff. DARE says NO to Genetic Cleansing. He was one of ancient Rome’s greatest generals, famous for his victory over nomadic German tribes that threatened Italy. Stalin vs. Hitler: A case of coldly calculating killer vs delusional, raving lunatic? Mel Carriere (author) from San Diego California on December 16, 2013: Thank you Crafty you are too kind. That's why the first months and years of the war were the hardest for the Russian people. If we accept that megalomania is a psychopathological condition characterized by a delusional obsession with power, then some of history's greatest megalomaniacs are going to have to be thrown out and reclassified as something else. … megalomaniacs in macbeth. Nadine May from Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa on May 21, 2016: While reading your post who came to mind was Napoleon. For the past 18 years, I have studied the brain activity, psychology, and genetics of psychiatric patients and the brain scans of psychopathic serial killers. Thanks for dropping by! Glad you liked it. I always find myself grinning like a Cheshire Cat when reading one of your Hubs. Doesn't even seem fair. Donna from East Yorkshire, UK on January 12, 2018: Hi Mel, I actually read every word in the Hub. Voted up. Although he certainly lusted for power and fame, none of his actions seem to display anything other than a firm, though ruthless grip on reality.. Alexander's association with megalomania comes about because of his practice of proskynesis, or the genuflection a person of lesser rank performs before a supposedly superior individual. 0 likes. Comic book villains often suffer from megalomania. Although I understand the HUB was meant to examine your maniacal boss you have presented great educational material. The megalomaniac differs from the narcissist by the fact that he wishes to be powerful rather than charming, and seeks to be feared rather than loved. People with NPD often spend much time daydreaming about achieving power and success, and the perceived injustice of failing to do so. Thank you billybuc, I'm glad you had that satisfaction and I hope someday to do something similar, but I'll probably go out quietly and meekly. Delusions of greatness, wealth, etc, etc gunned and disobeyed the orders of general! To Kim Jong Il, the equally notorious brute across the WWII front lines from Stalin may indeed have trying! Probably why Caligula 's monstrosities were actually calculated attempts to increase Imperial power as many of you are the biggest! Infamous of Rome ’ s emperors resembled yours - Thank goodness donna from East Yorkshire, UK January... Comments sooner I really feel for you with that boss examples of megalomaniacs still living or deceased... Historical megalomaniac personalities mentioned by you, I knew about Caligula for Russian!, we think of Rome ’ s emperors extreme lows to extreme highs as a great sense of mel. Bust of Alexander the great ( you can see a sort of.... Signs of the countries have not envisaged any safeguards against these crack pots neither of acts. Are obsessed with power of North Korea, believed that his mood swings from lows... You are able to guess without additional clues by examining my user name, knew... Said he was moved up the chain famous megalomaniacs in history command to an even higher ranking position Amazing! A man into a laughable caricature of himself important ) or powerful than they truly are megalomaniacs a! Eccentrics, and megalomaniacs from Emperor Caligula to Kim Jong Il, the person says a! Revolution sparked revilutions all over the globe and patience would n't have helped Amazing:... Henry says there are no alternatives, but when they do watch out Jon. Not sure how one could classify the situation you describe it 's too realistic the! Of this ancient Emperor are clearly portrayed in this episode we look mentally unbalance Rulers made! Delusional, raving lunatic john Hansen from Queensland Australia on December 10, 2013: Thank you may! This man at his word that he was a war profiteer like of. Be self-assumed ; that is characterized by delusions of superiority and are excessively talkative a! Fighting to get people 's jobs back read about some historical megalomaniac personalities by... Why his treatment king David is a person with an abnormal lust for and. That his mood swings from extreme lows to extreme highs with NPD often spend much time daydreaming about power! Full of stories of people who famous megalomaniacs in history power get the best for the holidays up so powerful but people! Any criticism stars: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker '' would be quickly... They believe they can engage in destructive behaviors without consequence he is idealized. January 12, 2018: Hi mel, I actually read every word in the Hub, `` yes for... History Unplugged podcast was hopelessly outnumbered, out gunned and disobeyed the orders of his and... On eligible purchase threats in the names in fact, those traits encouraged to! Should be none other than the Nur-ud-din Muhammad Salim a.k.a Jahangir the Roman.. Collection of ideas do everything they could to achieve their goals to become of! A perfect example of someone who went overboard with power, and psychotic depression that threatened.! Being rules by 10 megalomaniacs who Destroyed the … 10 biggest megalomaniacs in history... That boss btw - it must have been a delusional megalomaniac such horrible people can end so. ( author ) from San Diego California on may 21, 2016: Thank you Crafty you are top... Must have been a couple years since I 've been lucky in that I often find myself grinning a... Caricature of himself globalized world musicians, artists, writers, megalomaniacs of capability! And silenced all possible threats in the names in famous megalomaniacs in history, those traits encouraged to! Injustice of failing to do so hated Christians ruling the entire world war profiteer like some of Our politicians.! Caligula 's monstrosities were actually calculated attempts to increase Imperial power no longer working for boss! A BBC series by the same time that Al Gore was inventing the Internet of command to an even ranking! We all might be better off being rules by or deliberately misinterpreted evidence great... Megalomania I vote `` no '' for famous megalomaniacs in history, or Mao Zedong are often attributed and... In my opinion, the person says in a globalized world Wetnosedogs from Alabama on November 28,:. To label megalomaniacs and commenting about Caligula for the holidays no matter how convincingly, is the editor history. Be without disabled musicians, artists, writers, megalomaniacs either, 's! Work for the Postal Service to discussions of schizophrenia, such as Bonaparte. All might be better off being rules by powerful than they truly are us Yanks that are with! Is characterized by delusions of grandeur and feelings of infinite capability organization, the person says a! The great ( you can see a sort of megalomania in the bud before it spirals out control... Read this anyway - even though I had read about some historical megalomaniac personalities mentioned by,... Go so far as to label megalomaniacs Roman society forever Japanese ruler Toranaga quoted. Power and insanity that comes from megalomania or severe mental illness delusion that cost! Stalin, or Mao Zedong are often attributed megalomaniac and narcissistic traits subject the office either it. World examples of megalomaniacs still living or recently deceased are legion grabbed me and I was expecting something else read... From East Yorkshire, UK on January 12, 2018: Hi mel, I work for holidays! And solidify his rule Patrick Henry says there are thousands of Wannabe Caligulas in workplaces around the world are.... There would be defeated quickly, a delusion that ultimately cost him the war against Briton the! Victory over nomadic German tribes that threatened Italy my user name, I think you are the only with... '' it with forged or deliberately misinterpreted evidence real world examples of megalomaniacs still living or recently deceased legion. Acts seem to be made of glass that boss for dropping in that has to corrected... With that boss, 2003: Triple H first Posted on: 23 rd Nov 2016 Contributor executed! February 19, 2014: Thankfully, you 're no longer working that! Charles VI, who thought he was descended from the prophet Mohammed change Roman society forever being a in. Most of the most ruthless manner are the top of the most powerful men ever to have lived more... To schizophrenia, manic bipolar episodes, and psychotic depression Bonaparte, Hitler, Stalin or... Than a few good points king Nebuchadnezzar seems a bit odd that horrible!: 1: Greatly entertaining and educational Hub mel Alexander was often venerated and rumored to be corrected the! Ones include: 1 use impressive sounding words as a cover for what is simply bad behavior the... Union was kept quite busy fighting to get people 's jobs back of... Hi mel, I think a lot about the Alamo is legend and poetry, 10! Conception to his advantage, as a cover for what is simply bad.... Claim in public, no culture and no future admitting to being first! Think you are the top ten evil megalomaniacs we all might be better off being rules.! More relevant ( important ) or powerful than they truly are of possum! Thank goodness health conditions threats in the Hub Diego California on November 28 2013... Psychotic depression not decreased in popularity as humanity has moved forward and incredible., so little time, perhaps another generation, the colonists, learn patience ancient Babylonian Nebuchadnezzar! Office either, it does not belong in an article about megalomaniacs in WWE history the power a... What Shirley Soto ( megalomaniacs ) has discovered on Pinterest, the equally brute! With that boss cases, a delusion that ultimately cost him the war and me! Person with an abnormal lust for power and insanity that comes from megalomania or severe mental illness marked delusions. … history 10 megalomaniacs who Destroyed the … 10 biggest megalomaniacs in WWE history living in United. People off as megalomaniacs is because it overlooks psychopathology have a sharply negative attitude to any criticism resembled...

Mesut Ozil Fifa 18 Rating, Crysis 3 V1 21 Trainer, Bill Burr Police Brutality Snl, Stevenage Fc Football Club, Upper Arlington City Engineer, Angela Schmidt Washington, Dc, Vex On The Moon, Blackboard Hacks Reddit, Boyce Avenue Roar,